Monday, April 28, 2014

Is this real life?

Dear Family and Friends.

Wow. What a week. Sometimes being a missionary, I look back at my week and wonder if I am in some sort of dream... We had some crazy experiences this week!... Crazy but good! I don't even know where to begin! 

I guess I can start with Transfo! Normally, we receive transfer information two Saturdays before the transfer ends. But with 85 new missionaries, it took a little bit longer. So we didn't get any information until Saturday night. And for me, not much changes! I will be in BROVARY again! I will be serving with Sister Walker. She is from the Donestk mission (we now refer to them as our "new missionaries") and she was in the MTC with me, but in the other zone. I'm pretty excited for our transfer together! It will be so good. As far as my district, only Elder Roggow and I are staying here in Brovary. The other SIX are leaving! Wow. So that is basically a full white-wash. So that will be fun! I'm also pretty lucky because there will only be 1 set of sisters here in Brovary. We are one of 4 areas in our mission with only one set of sisters, some of the other areas have 4 sets! So we will have a lot of work to do, with our work plus the other sisters that are leaving! In other news, remember Elder Martineau? The elder that I served around for 5 transfers in Odessa? He is going to be in my district again. Wow. Our district will be two sets of elders and 1 set of sisters! 
District pic
 
 more district picture

Last night we had a going away party for everyone that was leaving. It was sad. One elder, Elder Fisher, heads out tomorrow to America, finishing his mission a transfer early to help with space issues. So that was fun to say goodbye to him! 

This week, we went to the Circus with our English group. It was an interesting experience. Very Russian and cheap. But it was an experience. 
 circus
 
They did have this one man that was probably 60 years old that did a handstand on top of 4 balanced chairs and a table. That was impressive. 

Sometimes, I like to think about what my mission would be like if I was serving in other parts of the world. This last week, I had an experience of what it would be like to serve in Africa. In our branch, we have two recent converts- Austin and Kingsley, who are from Africa. This last week, Kingsley called us up and asked if we wanted to "convert some souls". Well of course that answer is YES! So he told us to come to his house Friday at 4. So we went. It was a birthday party for this little girl who was turning 1. I think that every black person from all of Kyiv was there... haha. It was a fun experience. We walk in and playing in the background is "Happy Birthday". But like 20 different variations of it. And everyone is dancing to the happy birthday songs. And the food! African food! and so much of it. They had this fish green herb soup thing and what you did was take a ball of cream of wheat and some soup and then break off pieces of the cream of wheat and dip it in the soup. It was interesting.... haha. My poor companion was enjoying some unidentifiable meat, and was rather distraught when she learned that it was cow intestine. haha.
african party! :) 
 
Me with african food! :)
 
I really enjoy African people, they are so nice! especially after being in Ukraine, where talking to strangers is weird for them. But not for people from Africa. One lady walked in, saw us and immediately went off, "Hi, my name is Comfort, but you can just call me Comfy!!! I can just tell that we are going to be such good friends." It was fun and we got to know so many new people! 

Also, I passed 3 months since I broke my back, and that meant I could try running again! IT WAS THE BEST! We went to the track and I ran a mile. It was the best! 
 
 soccer
And I played Soccer on Saturday with the ward! So fun :) :) :) Also, we helped a member paint his house! It was so awesome service :) 
service
 painting!
after we painted, Brother Sasha bought us pizza! Yum! :) 

Yesterday, we had stake conference, here in Kyiv!  I really loved it. It was inspiring to hear and see the local leaders of the church talk to us. 
Stake Conference
our bus on the way!

I love the opportunities I have to see how the church has grown in such a short amount of time. Ukraine is a special, holy place. The early members of the church here have a special spirit, that has really motivated them to share the gospel and live their faith. Together with so many missionaries and our desire to share the gospel, I feel a special spirit in the branches and wards. I don't really know how to categorize it into words, maybe a feeling of excitement or a feeling that something big is on the way? But it is a good feeling and I feel it all the time. It just motivates me to work my hardest, because I know miracles are coming and are happening all around us! It is a really special time to be a missionary in the Ukraine Kyiv mission! This past little while, I have just felt so blessed to be serving here and learning so much and seeing so many miracles!
  
 Tank pic

Ukraine is such a special place! Don't worry about me, I am safe, But PLEASE pray for the political situation to improve so that we can keep doing the Lord's work in this beautiful country! I love being a missionary, I know that this church is true! Have a fantastic week! :) 

Love, 
Sister Kati Ford 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...