Monday, July 21, 2014

Story time :)

Dear Family and Friends, 

This week was crazy! You know how every once in a while I share a "This would only happen in Ukraine" moment. This week there was SO many moments like that, I haven't even gotten a chance to write about them all in my journal! 
Kati and Pres and Sister Packer

First of all, We moved! Our apartment is SO CUTE! I'm in love with it! I'm pretty sure it is the best apartment I have lived in on my mission! I took some pictures of it and then when I was in the mission office, I was showing everyone. They loved it too :) 
 Our darling apartment
 Told you - pink lemonade :)

 
 we found the roof... cool!
It's good that I love it so much, because TRANSFO came out this week and I am staying here and with Sister Larcabal! Basically everything else is changing. I think we are one of very few companionship's that are staying the same. We are getting a new elder here though, Elder Lindsey, who served in Suvorovsky with me! Yay! :) 
But moving was an adventure as we had to somehow transport all of our stuff across town in a series of taxis. Wow. But we did it! :) And we got all unpacked and settled in :) 

BBQ in the park :)
 
Tuesday was a little crazy because we had to tell our landlady that we moved and give her the keys. We gave her a heads up a few weeks ago that we would be leaving, but I think she thought that we wouldn't be able to find a new apartment. So she went a little crazy when we tried to turn over the keys. It was after English on Tuesday and we were in a hurry because we had to get home on time. But she went crazy and yelling and wouldn't let us leave. She told us a bunch of stuff that people "told her" but then when we talked to them, it wasn't true. So we were stuck. We had no idea what to do, so we called the Assistants, who told us to get ourselves out. So we ended up  running for it. We put down some money and the keys and RAN out the door, with her chasing after us. We BOOKED it down the stairs and into the Taxi, slamming the doors of the car behind us and saying, "GO!". I think we scared the taxi driver, he was so confused on why we were so freaked out. But basically, we are REALLY grateful for the new apartment and for the fact that we won't have to deal with a crazy landlady anymore. Moral of the story, when I get home, I will be able to handle ANY crazy situation, because I just had to deal with it in Russian/Ukrainian! 
Hi, my name is Sister Ford 


In just another crazy story, On Thursday, morning, we went running. We were in our new apartment, so we didn't really know the area. I thought that we could make a loop out of our path but pretty soon we ran out of time. I saw a dirt path that seemingly led straight to our apartment building so we headed down that path. Maybe not so smart... At one point some scary looking dogs starting coming and they were barking all scary so we walked past them and they didn't attack. thankfully. So we kept going. All the sudden the path that we were walking on ended. But we didn't want to walk back past the dogs, so we just decided to forge our way through the grass. The grass kept cutting my legs, which I don't really understand because Sister Larcabal didn't get cut up at all. 
 Can you see my scratched up legs?

As we were going through the grass, all the sudden we looked up and realized that there wasn't a way out. We were surrounded on 3 sides by high concrete walls with the dogs behind us. So we debated what to do and decided that it would be faster and not as scary (because dogs are scary) to jump over one of the walls. So we jumped over the wall and we were pretty proud of ourselves...until we realized that we were still fenced in because we had jumped the wall into a factory. Great. So we just kinda wandered around the factory until we found an exit, just walking past all the guards and workers like the owned the place. We got home pretty late, but made it home eventually. :) So that was an adventure. Moral of that story, Don't take the shortcut :) 

This week, one of our investigators took us to a Healthy Body class and we got "massages". Except we were just laying on mattresses that heated up. 
 Massage troubles...
I'm not sure what they were supposed to do but basically I'm pretty excited for when I get home and can get a real massage! :) It was interesting... 
one of the senior missionaries gave
 me some gluten free flour! So nice :)
I made some crepes! :) 

Okay, so enough crazy stories, I promise that I have some good stories too! A lot of them too :) 

With our recent convert, we played a matching commandment lesson. It was so good and so fun! The Spirit was really strong as we talked about why the commandments are important. 

With one less active family, we used there computer to show a Mormon Message. They liked it so much that for the next 20 minutes, they just kept picking another and another and another message to watch. After that, we told them that we had to leave, and as we were leaving, they kept watching more and more. For the first time since I have been there, after our lesson, they actually kept the commitment that we left them! It was awesome! The husband's name is Kosta and I have never seen him so happy! I know it was because he was feeling the Spirit! I love how the Holy Ghost can help people! :) 

So, recently to our English class, this lady named Oksana has been coming. She is super cute and has a darling 10 year old son. On Tuesday, as we left to deal with our landlady (horrible timing, I know), she was talking about Jesus Christ. So on Thursday, we asked her if we could show her the "Because of Him" Mormon message (Google it if you haven't seen it! :)). So we watched it together and I look over at here and she is bawling. So we asked her what she was thinking and she said, "I just wish that someone today on Earth had that same power to heal that Jesus Christ had." What an incredible opportunity for us, because we were able to testify of the power of the priesthood of God that has been restored to the earth today! In our church, we have that power! That power to heal, to comfort, to lift, and to bless! So we testified that and she expressed interest in learning more. Early that day, I had actually received a really powerful blessing and so it was special for me to have the experience to bear testimony of the priesthood power just hours after it had blessed my life so profoundly! 

This week, I have been studying the Atonement a lot and today I came across a really great quote. It says,
 "If you feel unclean, unloved, unhappy, unworthy, or unwhole, remember “all that is unfair about life can be made right through the Atonement of Jesus Christ.” Have faith and patience in the Savior’s timing and purposes for you. “Be not afraid, only believe” (Mark 5:36). Be assured the Savior still seeks to mend our souls and heal our hearts. He waits at the door and knocks. Let us answer by beginning again to pray, repent, forgive, and forget. Let us love God and serve our neighbor and stand in holy places with a life made clean. The impotent man at the pool of Bethesda, the leper along the journey to Jerusalem, and Corrie ten Boom were made whole. “Wilt thou be made whole?” Rise and walk. His “grace is sufficient” (2 Corinthians 12:9), and you will not walk alone." (Wilt thou be made whole) 
 
I have such a great testimony of the Atonement of Jesus Christ! I know that He lives and that He really did suffer for our sins! Because of him, we can be healed, we can be given strength beyond our own and that through him, ALL is possible! I know that Christ lives! He loves us! He is waiting for us to come to us so that he can heal us! The priesthood power is on the Earth today and we are so blessed to have a knowledge of both the Atonement and the power of the Priesthood! 

I love being a missionary and being able to testify and help others! Let your light shine and be happy as you share the gospel, for it truly is GOOD NEWS of healing and help!

LOVE YOU ALL! 
Love, 
Sister Kati Ford 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...