Monday, September 30, 2013

6 MONTHS!!

Dear Family and Friends,
Can you believe it? I hit my 6 month mark on Friday! Oh my goodness! I feel like I have only been out for a few weeks. I love being a missionary and have so blessed by my service so far! When I think about how much I have grown, I am so glad for my opportunity to be here! I wouldn't want to be anywhere else right now!

the view through the church keyhole... cool!

It's COLD here now! Like gloves and jacket and tights and fall boots cold. I don't know what I will do when winter comes but at the same time, I love it :) I feel so cute in the fall :) Our house is cold... the government runs the heat and it doesn't turn on until November... Brrr! :) Good thing we have blankets! The really sad news is that our water heater isn't working right now... don't know why... so our showers have been like ICE! It is kinda funny becuase both Sister Nielsen and I squeal when we shower. We have to jump up and down before we get in so that we can stay somewhat warm. Then we bundle up when we get out... It's an adventure. :)
happy birthday tyson! 

 Elders... Ukrainian style
 elders happy!
Elder bolt wishing a happy birthday! 


This week, during a personal study, I was thinking a lot about the phrase "eye single to the glory of God." I thought about how when we devote our whole attention to the "glory of God", or the manifestations of His power, we can more accurately see the good all around us. And seeing the good all around us, helps qualify us for the work, and being able to do the work better. I've really been looking for the good around me everyday, little manifestations of God's love and power in my life and the lives of people around me. A huge way that I have seen this good is through the happiness people experience relating to progression in the gospel.  For example, a recent convert talking about his first time in the temple, A convert's smile as He blesses the sacrament for the first time, seeing members from my old area and having them remember me and my testimony, a member's willingness to help us, the Relief Society President's trust in me and in the Lord. These little things strength my testimony and desire to do His work, and to do His work, in His way!

This week we found out transfer information. Next transfer, I will be in Suvorosky, again! I will be with my trainee, Her name is Sister Kelly. I know nothing about her, but I am so excited to meet her! We are going to baptize Suvorosky! haha :) I can't believe that I am training! I still feel so young! This week will be crazy! We head up to Kyiv on Wednesday night at 11:00 and get there the next morning. Then we have a day full of meetings. Then our trainees will sleep at the hotel again and Sister Hunt and I will find some sisters to stay with (I think...) and the next day we have meetings again! Then we come back on Friday night! It is going to be crazy for sure! I'm excitedfor the train and to be up in Kyiv. You may be wondering, what is up with Sister Nielsen? She will be opening a new area, Vinnitsya! It is up in Kyiv! She will be great :)
This last week was really good! We met with many members, which was really fun! One member of our branch tripped over her dog and broke her shoulder, which we didn't know. 



 prego dog. Is huge. Almost killed her owner...
who btw looks like a human version of this dog :) 

We felt the impression to call her, set up an appointment, and then to bring her flowers. We got there to see her broken arm, and learned that she can't leave the house for the next three weeks. She has been waiting for months to go to the temple, but can't go now because of her arm. We had the awesome opportunity to strengthen her. She told us at the end that she felt like her light was fading, but we brightened her light again, strenthened her and inspired her to share the gospel again! It was so sweet :)
We met with another member and she helped us make our first borsch! It was so good! I'm excited to get home and be able to cook delicious borsch for you :) It isn't even that hard :)
finished borsch

This week we also had a combined activity with the Center branch. It was a PANCAKE NIGHT! It was sooooo fun! The members and nonmembers love pancakes! All the missionaries made like 300 or more pancakes, both American and Ukrainian (crepes) There was about 40 people there, which is huge! It was so fun! It was also really fun to see my friends from my old area. I had so many of the people that I had worked with give me HUGE hugs. Galina, a lady that I met with once, came up saying, "Hello, my favorite, beautiful missionary". It was cute. :)
 pancake night
 
Lena and Vika. Vika, the blond, I don't know...
but she might add me on facebook
Lena is a girl from center is filling out mission 
papers in 3 months!!! 

 me and Zoya and Katya from center

me and Galina...awkward hug picture thing

Who watched the Relief Society broadcast?? I did :) Sister Nielsen and I had the opportunity to watch it during our companion study! It was awesome! And a sister missionary choir! So awesome! We looked for my new companion, but the nametags are hard to read! We saw some russian ones, so maybe I saw her... I don't know! I loved the moment when the showed the Lady from Russia, opening her door! Just so you know, that is exactly what tracting looks like... minus the bright lights, and smiling lady welcoming you in :) Hahaha but the doors are like that, and the 4 doorbells on the side. We ring all of them :) It made my heart smile because it reminded me of Ukraine and the wonderful members here :)
Conference is this weekend! We don't watch it until next week, but I can't wait! I will find out the new temples before then though :) and any special announcements :P haha! I hope they announce a temple in Odessa! How cool would that be... we need a stake first though :) Everyone watch it and tell me their favorite parts!
by our house is this little bread shop. It is only 1 dollar 
(8 grn) for 2 bigstuffed rolls with fruit in it! 
So good! We get them often-ish :) 

Scary part from this week- the Relief Society President in my branch put me in charge of the Relief Society activity for this week. What is it? A discussion on how to be a good mom! I have no idea why I am in charge, because first of all I'm not a mom, and second of all, I don't really speak that much russian to lead a conversation that isn't gospel related at all. I thought about it a lot, and finally decided to cut up questions and pass them out and then have answers from the prophets and my life, and the Klebingat's...when then I got a call from my zone leader telling me that I won't be in Odessa on Friday, but will be in Kyiv. So now...today... soonish, I have to call her and tell her that I won't be here. Sad :( I was kinda excited for the challenge! Next time!
Sister Hunt and I at Olios today! 

I love you all! I hope that you have a GREAT week! Enjoy conference! Enjoy fall!
Sister Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...