Monday, January 13, 2014

Happy Old New Years


 Hello Everyone!

Happy OLD NEW YEAR'S EVE! The Holiday's here never end! Seriously... Yesterday we still sang Christmas songs and talked about Christmas in church! So different from home...I can hardly believe that it is almost halfway through January because it still feels like the Christmas season. Christmas music is still playing in all the stores! This is a special little place to be! :) I love Ukraine!
 Christmas Eve Food! :)
A Nativity in Center Odessa! 
 
This week was good! This week was Ukrainian Christmas which was SO fun! People here are so fun on the Holidays. Last Monday was Christmas Eve, or Holy Night. We went over to a member's house and she ended up feeding us so much food! So yummy! They have a fun tradition here, where all the grandchildren buy a loaf of bread that is shaped like a wreath and then they fill the inside nuts and candy and fruit and wrap it all up and take it to their grandmothers. The bread is sweet and full of raisins and topped with poppy seeds. We had some of that and it was so good! The only time that they make that bread is for Christmas so I was so glad to have some to try! :) I'll take some to my grandparents next year! :) 
 Singing outside on Christmas

The next day was Christmas! We had a big district meeting in Center with another District! It was so fun to see other missionaries! We have zone conference coming up soon so we are preparing for that too! There will probably be another mission conference too, or at least that is what I am hoping for! We had an opportunity to sing on the street for people for Christmas. We had some members from the ward come and it was so fun! I ended up taking my violin and playing on the street! People loved it! They don't get to hear violin very often, I don't think. People were so happy on Christmas, anyone that we wished Happy Christmas too, would respond back with a smile and a "you too!" :) That night we met with a less active and talked with her. Awkward story...I spilled so much juice on myself, but didn't want her to know so I just had this puddle of juice on my lap that I was trying to clean up somehow, all without anyone noticing! It was incredibly awkward! :)
This week I was so lucky because Sister Hunt came to Suvorosky to do an exchange with the other sisters! I got to see her for 2 whole days! Just like old times! :)
This week, I had the opportunity to meet with a little girl, Nastia and her mom like 2 different times. Nastia wanted to do a musical number for the music night this week so we practiced. Sadly, she couldn't come to the actual music night but we are still friends! She is the CUTEST! She is like 12 years old and I just love her! She gave me a braclet and taught me how to make one and it was so fun! She also loves Hangman. We played so much of it! It was funny because anytime anyone else would come up, she would tell them that it was Sister Ford and Nastia time! So CUTE! Now I just need to figure out how to introduce her to the gospel! :)
Funny story! In english, We talked about change and how anyone can be better. So for the Spiritual Thought, Sister Lameraux asked Sister Robertson (she was here on exchanges) and I to play a musical number, and play it really bad at first but then fix it and play better. So we did that. and it was so bad at first. But then we played it and it sounded really pretty :) But Sister Lam said to everyone at english, "Wasn't that bad at the beginning?" and everyone was like, "Don't Judge!" "We all make mistakes" "I still thought it was pretty". And it was just really awkward. Finally we helped everyone understand that we messed up on purpose but the analogy kinda flopped! Oh well! :)
MUSIC NIGHT WAS THIS WEEK! Everything was all fine and great until ALL the musical numbers fell through! So I picked up some slack and played the piano, the violin, or sang in 9 out of 10 musical numbers! The Lord blessed my musical abilities this week! I was playing songs that I have never played before and they actually kinda sounded ok... haha! Thankfully music was so good! There was a sweet Christmas spirit there and so much love! :) I played the piano for a member in the ward to sing silent night last minute, that was interesting.... She sang her own tempo so I was just following along. Everyone liked it though! Then we had some treats! It was so cute! I love this branch! They said that because of all the activities that the branch has put on recently, the ward is going to host a Vereniki night for all the missionaries, host a program, and each invite a friend! I can't wait! :) It will be the Sunday before the transfer ends, so maybe one of my last Sundays in the branch! I don't know thought!
 Suvorovsky Sisters! Ira officially put in her mission papers!!!!!! :)
 Cute music night
 Music night :) 
SO excited for my package :)

 Opening my package :)
 Christmas Eve!
 
 Pajamas and a new pillowcase :)
 Fun Stocking! :)
 TACOS!!!
 And a puzzle! I don't know how you knew 
but I almost bought a puzzle 
last week because I wanted to do one so bad ! :) YAY! :)

 NEW SKIRTS! BEST PRESENTS EVER!
 and a super cute journal! :)
I cried when I read the journal entries... especially Jacob's. cutie
 FOOD! :)

My reaction... "Oh that's what a rainbow loom is!"
and a cute ring :) 
Package! Thanks again! 
 
 Also a fun little miracle from this week: :)
 One night, we planned to do some singing on the street for Christmas. Before we went out, we said a prayer. I prayed that we would be safe and that "creepy men" would leave us alone. We went out and started singing. Within 5 minutes, a stray dog came up and laid down right behind us, and just sat there. Anytime that we were singing, He would just quietly sit there and listen. When people came up that were interested in learning more, or in listening, he would just sit there. But everytime that someone that gave me an uncomfortable feeling or that gave me the "creepy vibe" would come up, the dog would bark at them until they left. He stayed with us the entire time that we were singing, and even walked with us back to the church. For me, it was a huge answer to my prayer and a testimony for how strongly God loves every one of us. He loves us enough to answer the small little prayers. It made it so much easier for me to go out again, because I felt that God was watching out for me. He will protect me while I am here, especially when I am trying my best and being obedient!
 Sister Kelly with a dead rat...
 We made Pazookies! Yum :)

I love being a missionary and I love being in Ukraine! This is such a big blessing for me! This church is true! I know it! And I also know that Christ lives and loves everyone of us! We can feel SO MUCH HAPPINESS IN THIS LIFE! I know I do! :)
I love you all! Have a great and happy week!
Love,
Sister Kati Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...