Monday, November 11, 2013

Hey Hey Hey

Hey Friends and Family!

How is everything going in America? I hear it is COLD there! Funny story, It isn't cold here yet! I'm sure it will be soon, but for right now, I think it is way colder in America! Who would've thought that America would be colder than Ukraine?


This week was really good! We received TRANSFO! And....I'm staying with Sister Kelly, in Suvorovsky again! Woo-Hoo! I can't believe that I will be in the same area for over 6 months! But I love it here! I don't want to leave...EVER!!! And neither do the members apparently. Last night, we hosted a fireside (I'll talk more about that later). After the fireside ended, I was sitting with some ladies in our branch. They were talking about our musical number that the missionaries did and they said, "Sister Ford, we have been talking about you and decided that you need to finish your mission, get married, and then we all want you to come back and live here in our branch. We all will invite you over every week and teach you how to cook Ukrainian Foods. Sister Ford, we feel like you are a part of our group, and we don't want you to leave. We want you to be with us forever." I almost started crying, I felt so loved. Here I am, in the middle of Ukraine, talking with a bunch of ladies all at least 35 years older then me, in a language that I can't really speak well,  with them asking me to move back after my mission and forever be friends with them. I couldn't believe how much love I felt from them and for them! I really do love this branch and am so blessed to continue to serve here!
This week was AWESOME, maybe the best of my mission!!! We saw a lot of miracles!

 Sister Goncharova dog had puppies! Aww :)
 
Tuesday was for sure the day of miracles for me! Here is the story of that day:

A couple weeks ago, I was praying that I could know who is Suvorovsky was ready to hear and accept the Gospel and come unto to Christ through Baptism. As I finished my prayer, I saw in my mind, a little girl dressed in white, singing a song (obviously at her baptismal service). I had the strongest feeling that she was ready to be baptized. The girl was one of the ladies in our ward's granddaughter. So that same day, we called the lady in our ward, her name is Raisa, and set up an appointment. Through the next week, she cancelled our appointment two times, which has never happened before. Finally on this Tuesday, we set up an appointment that finally worked out. As we headed into our appointment, I was so nervous. But we got in, prayed and listened to Elder Ballard's talk from conference together. Afterwords, we discussed it a little bit. Then I felt prompted to share that my experience from the previous week. As I shared that experience, the Spirit grew and grew, confirming my words, both to myself and to Sister Raisa. She told us that she also felt like her granddaughter was ready, explaining how she was already reading the Book of Mormon everyday and Praying, which I didn't know. We set up an appointment to meet with her granddaughter this week. As we said a prayer to end our lesson (on our knees), I listened to Raisa give thanks for the Spirit that leads us to know what to do and how to share the gospel! How true that is! The Spirit will guide and direct us as we are worthy of it and obedient.

As we walked out of this lesson, Sister Kelly and I were both filled with the Spirit, almost to the point of not being able to speak. As we walked away, we passed this man in a wheelchair. We both felt strongly to talk to him. As we talked to him, we learned that he was a member of our ward (but very inactive, almost anti). We spoke for awhile and at the end of our conversation, he said that the next time we meet with his wife, he will come on our lesson! It was a second small miracle. I have a testimony that the Lord puts us where we need to be so that His work can hasten!

From that conversation, we headed to our next appointment with Sister Goncharova. As we walked, Sister Kelly and I joked about with how perfect our day had already been, maybe we would walk in and Sister Goncharova would have a lady there for us to teach. We were totally joking though, because Sister G is super old, and everytime we ask her, she says, "Everyone I've asked always says no". Finally we got to her house, walked in and THERE WAS A LADY THERE THAT WANTED TO HEAR THE GOSPEL MESSAGE!!! Oh my goodness! She couldn't stay very long but she is coming back again next week! I was so shocked, but felt so blessed! What a day of miracles!

Later that night, we had a game night. It was a really good turnout! I even learned how to play a Russian card game!
Also, a cool experience from English. Every week when we end English, we invite everyone to stay for a spiritual thought. This last week, it was my turn, and the topic was the First Vision. We showed a clip of a video that had the first vision, and then I bore my testimony about it. It was so cool because the Spirit was so strong. I could tell that people felt the Spirit, which is awesome! And as I testified, I felt my testimony grow as well! I know that Joseph Smith saw God the Father and His son, Jesus Christ. He saw them because he had faith and because he prayed. When we pray, we receive answers to our prayers through thoughts and feelings from the Holy Ghost. And it is all because our Heavenly Father loves each one of us! What a great message to share! :)
Also, another really good day was Sunday, yesterday! Yesterday we had our Stake Conference (Except District Conference, because we aren't a Stake). It was broadcast to all of Europe East from Salt Lake. It was so AWESOME! Elder Nelson spoke, and a couple Elders from the Seventy and A sister from the Primary Presidency. It was cool because we got to watch it in English (because that was the language that everyone spoke, except for Elder Porter because he knows RUSSIAN! I didn't know that! It was cool! :) But they talked a lot about family and missionary work and I felt really strongly that the Lord is hastening his work and loves  the people here in Ukraine, Russia, and the Rest of Eastern Europe!
Then after that, we went and I said goodbye to Elder and Sister Colvin. They left Odessa today to go home. So sad! I am going to miss them so much! I'm so grateful for all they did to help me while I was here!
Saying goodbye to the Colvins :( 
 
As we left from the Colvins, I felt that we needed to take the backway to the Bus stop. As we were walking, this man stopped us. He told us that he had met with missionaries before in another part of Ukraine, and that he wanted to meet again and learn more about our church again! What a miracle that was that we crossed paths with him!
Last night we also had our fireside that us missionaries planned! I was SO nervous for it! But we had over 30 people there and they loved it! We served dinner (which the members brought food and cake for!!) 
 
 pictures from our fireside. after talking! 

and then talked for awhile. Then we had the spiritual part! We showed a video of our lives a little before we came on the mission, then talked about how everything we gave up was worth it to have the opportunity to be here and to help people come unto Christ. Then we showed a video of all the missionaries from Suvorovsky who have served missions and had one of them talk about how his mission has blessed his life! Then we sang a musical number. We sang the EFY Medley (As Sisters in Zion and We'll Bring His World His Truth). They had never heard it before (in fact, they thought I wrote it, haha funny!) and they loved it! I think everyone was crying! We translated it into Russian too! It was really powerful. Then we had our Ward Mission Leader share how everyone can share the gospel! It was awesome! :)
 The elders accidentally sent us 150 blank texts. Don't know how...


 
 We helped a lady carry her cart. 

After the Fireside, I was talking to one of the ladies in the ward about how she is teaching her son English. I squatted down next to her son and started singing "Eensy Weensy Spider" He was so amazed and started doing the hand motions with me. It was the cutest thing EVER! His dad (jokingly) said, "The Sisters need to babysit for us!" It was one of the most precious moments I have had with a child here! I loved it! :)

Oh yeah! I almost forgot, next transfer (this week) we will have another set of Sisters here in Suvorovsky! They will be living in the house right next door to us! It will be so fun! :) I can't wait! :)
I love being on my mission and I love sharing the gospel with people here! I love all of you! I hope that you are happy and healthy and grateful :) Have a great week!
Also, just so everyone knows, I have the Best mom ever and Her birthday is this week! I love her so much and Hopes that she has a GREAT DAY! :)
Love you all! :)
Love,
Sister Kati Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...