Monday, December 2, 2013

Happy Turkey Week!!!

Dear Family,

HAPPY THANKSGIVING! (well...Last week! But still, Yum!) We celebrated today with many missionaries from our zone and it was really fun! 
 Our thanksgiving dinner today! All the sisters that came! We have one more set of 
sisters in our zone, but they didn't come! So many sisters :)

We had some great food! I made an apple pie and it was the hit of the meal. 
 My pie :)

 Thanksgiving! :)

The elders especially loved it! It was fun to be able to celebrate today and be around other people! One of my favorite parts of Thanksgiving is talking to everyone, so that was really fun to do that! :) 

ALSO, in other random news, HAPPY DECEMBER! Can you believe that it is December?!??!?! Wow! I can't believe it! And this month is my HALFWAY MARK! The time is flying!! This last week was my 8 month mark on my mission and my 6 month mark in Ukraine! I can hardly believe I have been here for 6 months! 

This letter might be a little different from my normal letters. I want to share something that is a little more personal that I experienced this week. It's a little more "feelings" and less "lessons and such"! Part of being on a mission is personal growth and when I think about this part week I am full of gratitude of the learning experience that I have had. It was a little "painful" but I have grown a lot. 
So starting a little bit more than a month ago, I started feeling a little lonely, mostly because of  my birthday and other holidays that I was "missing". It was a weird feeling because I am actually NEVER alone on my mission. But that is what I was feeling and it was weird! But it started getting worse and worse. This last Monday was really hard for me. I wrote my parents and talked to them a little bit and they helped. I also wrote President Klebingat (my mission president- He is my leader while I am here). 
Then on Wednesday, we were waiting for a ride to a hospital to do service, 
 Taking Blankets to the hospital!

when we got a phone call. From a number that I didn't know. I answered it, "алло, это Сестра Форд" (Hello This is Sister Ford) and then the person on the other end said, "Hello Sister Ford, This is President Klebingat" !!! I was pretty surprised that he called and also that I didn't have his number! But we ended up talking a little bit and talking about how it is normal to be homesick and lonely at times. But we also talked about how our missions are a time to learn and grow and if I want to be the missionary that I am striving to be, I need to get over these feelings of loneliness and just "forget myself and get to work". I spent a lot of time this week thinking about that and about how I really do need to forget about myself if I want to truly be happy here! It's kinda a hard thing to do though. How do you "forget yourself"? I asked President and he said, "One thought at a time. It is mental work" Every time you want to think about yourself, you make yourself think about someone else" and this week I really tried that! And it worked!!! :)
 Now when I find myself thinking about myself, I force myself to think of someone else. It has helped so much. I can't say that I'm good at losing myself yet, but I feel like I have made huge strides. I know that as I think about myself less and less, I will be lonely less and less. I think I could even say that I have learned and grown more in the last 4 days than my whole mission so far. I'm much happier than I was this time last week! And even more, it is a deeper, content happiness. 
This week, I had the opportunity to be with Sister McInnes (a younger sister) for an evening. While we were walking to an appointment, I asked her how she was doing and she told me that she was ok, just going through the normal struggles that a new missionary did. I told her a little bit about the advice that President shared with me! It was really fun to have the opportunity to be able to help another missionary through sharing what I had learned! Hopefully this can help those that are preparing for a mission, on a mission, or just anyone that feels somewhat lonely! I promise that you will feel better as you just lose yourself! Don't think about yourself! Force yourself to think of someone else and how you can help them! 

Anyway...That is probably enough intense stuff. I'll go into the FUN! Because this week was CRAZY and FUN! 

So...where to start from this week! WE MOVED!!!!! We are now living in a VERY Ukrainian apartment only 10 minutes from the church! It was so sudden and fast. So Tuesday, we received notice that we needed to move out of where we were living as soon as possible, because it is cold and dark earlier and with the holiday season coming they wanted us to be extra safe! So we confirmed this new apartment and all four of us Sisters are now living there together. Thursday we moved all of our stuff (most stressful taxi ride EVER) and moved into the new place!
 Moving!!!!

 It is pretty nice, I have been sleeping on a pull out couch with Sister Kelly, but today we will buy a air mattress! yay! We divided the bed up evenly and my half is about 2 and a half feet wide! So I am so excited for the air mattress! Yay! The apartment has a nice open living room but a TINY kitchen! It will be an adventure with 4 sisters! 
Our house friends!


Our tiny Ukrainian kitchen :)
This week we also had Thanksgiving! On Thursday, Sister Kelly and I didn't do much for Thanksgiving (it was the day that we moved so we were crazy busy) but we did buy a chicken and make some mashed potatoes and stuffing! YUM :) 

 Our mini Thanksgiving Dinner!
This week we were SO BUSY with appointments! I loved it! We also received so many referrals from the members! Let me tell you, when members ask missionaries to teach their friends and family, it is basically the best thing EVER!!! It is a big sign of trust! :) 

This week we taught Sophia again! We talked about prophets this time! It was so fun! We did the cup analogy, (Where you stack up cups in a tower and talk about without prophets and the revelation that they receive from God, there is no way to build the whole church up) She was so into it! She is just the cutest little girl ever :)! 

This week we also worked more with Julia, one of our less active members! She came to church on Sunday! It was basically the best thing EVER! It is so fun to watch people that we work with come back and realize how loved they are :) 

This week, one of our biggest miracles was the chance we had to meet with the husband of our relief society president! He hadn't met with missionaries in years! It was so fun! He is so nice! I hope we can meet with him again! :)
 
Us with the elders and sister Goncharova! Fun lesson! 
Her friend Lena was there :) Thanksgiving :)

Also, remember Sister Ivanyk? The old lady in the wheelchair? She asked Sister Kelly and I to move in with her. She said that we could live with her for free! Cute, right??? Too bad her house is too small. And it is against so many rules! But I'm touched that she loves us :) 
Our latest nativity! :) haha jk! The lights flash and spin :P 

Do ice cream sundaes in America come in cones now? Weird


This week was fun! I'm doing so good! I'm loving my life right now and really grateful for the chance to be serving! I'm glad to be happy and healthy! I'm grateful for my awesome family and friends and missionaries here and President Klebingat! I love being a missionary, especially this close to Christmas! I love you all! Think about someone else today! Love you! 

Love,
Sister Ford
PS- To all that are concerned, the riots in Kyiv haven't reached Odessa...Yet! Right now I am 100 percent safe! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...