Monday, February 3, 2014

Number Game

Dear Family and Friends, 
Happy February! Did the groundhog see his shadow? Does his decision affect the winter here in Ukraine? These are serious questions... I'm doing pretty good. But...I think I'm going crazy! I haven't left the house in so long! I seriously haven't left this bed! My back better heal quickly! To give you all an idea of what my life has been like, I thought I would share some numbers: So this 1 sister missionary has 1 broken back and 1 dislocated tailbone. Due to that, she hasn't left the house in 12 days, or 294 hours, or 17,640 minutes or 1,058,400 seconds. Of all those seconds, she has been lying in bed 98% of the time or about 288 hours. (The other time is spent showering and brushing teeth). She has been TIRED, so has slept for 117 hours. This 1 sister missionary has talked to the mission doctor(s) (there is a new one now!) 5 times this week, President Klebingat 1 time, and Sister Klebingat 3 times. Everyone is just checking up on me and my injured bum! This 1 broken sister had 1 awesome district meeting in her apartment. The 5 other missionaries are awesome, especially the 2 elders who made 2 grocery runs for us, as well as visiting 12 different pharmacies to refill my medicine. And then we have the 3 amazing sisters who have done 27 exchanges so that I always have a companion. They have made me 36 meals in bed and refilled my water bottle about 84 times. The medicine is crazy! This 1 sister has worn 12 medicated patches for 144 hours total. The total number of pills? 102! The sisters have been teaching a lot this week and everyone is still really concerned about my condition. I received 17 phone calls from concerned members and the sisters estimate that they have been asked how I am doing 75 times. What does a sister who has 288 hours in bed do beside sleep? Well--this sister has read 8 Liahona magazines, Jesus the Christ, 7 Teaching of President of the Church books and parts of Preach My Gospel, Bible, Book of Mormon, Doctrine and Covenants, Pearl of Great Price, and the Book of Mormon in Russian. That's 3,959 pages of reading total! In addition, I have memorized about 35 sayings/references for scriptures or Russian sayings, wrote 54 pages in my journal, and sang 80 hymns! I've read the first 150 words out of the 10,000 most commonly used Russian words and 3 chapters out of my Russian grammar book! Some random numbers. The doctor and Sister Klebingat told us to buy a donut floatie thing. Hardest adventure ever. It took 5 missionaries, 3 days, 6 members (including members of the Odessa District Presidency) and 10 stores to find! But now I am the proud owner of 1 spiderman floatie! Also we found 1 walker in the storage room of our apartment. The elders thought it was so funny. I've listened to 805 songs on my ipod, 6 hours of general conference, and watched 4 hours of church movies. I've been so BUSY! It's been crazy! In addition to all the things that can be counted in numbers, there are a whole bunch of things that can't be counted. Those include prayers from family and friends--both here and there. Thanks. That includes the increased testimony I've learned about prayer, obedience, and faith from all my studies. It includes the tiny tender mercies and miracles that I've still seen everyday. It includes all the ways that people have offered to help. And, of course, the "bummer" jokes. Those can't be counted because they happen ALL THE TIME! So although my back and bum hurt (and sometimes they hurt so bad), I'm happy! I'm healing and I promise that I'm taking good care of myself! Everyone is so helpful! I'm so blessed! I love you all! Stay warm! Hugs and Kisses
 Love, Sister Kati Ford
 ps--sorry this isn't super long, my life isn't super exciting.
 pps--also, tell everyone to keep emailing. It doesn't look like I will be able to leave my bed again this week, so I'm going to be REALLY bored next week! Also, I have ties so expect a package soon

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...