Tuesday, February 25, 2014

The Forbidden Question!!

Dear Family and Friends,
It has officially been decided that I can no longer ask myself, "Can my mission get any weird-er?" Because the answer is ALWAYS yes! This week being case in point. I think that without a doubt, I have had the craziest, abnormal mission that I have ever heard of. I mean.... can anyone argue with a broken back? But then it gets crazier... Let me explain!
So Tuesday was my first "normal day" (although we have only been doing like half days, and 3/4 days, but more everyday). It was a beautiful day, with sunshine and happiness! The zone leaders came down and together we had a little meeting and then did some finding together. Sister Lamoreaux and I role played the first lesson with one of the Elders and after asked for feedback. He started blushing and then said, with a SUPER red face, "Sisters, when you smile, it just makes me so happy. If you smile to your investigators there is no way they won't notice something special about you. You two have something special, I don't know what it is, but I can see it in you." It was probably one of the best compliments I have gotten in a long time! So sweet :) Then we did a finding activity. We decided to try something different, so we did it on the Word of Wisdom! Yay, so fun! :) People in Ukraine LOVE health and are always wishing us good health. So we made a poster that said, "For your health" - it's a common saying here, and carrot cake, banana bread, and oatmeal cookies. Healthy, right?!?! haha! It was fun! I sat down the whole time and so it wasn't that bad on my back.
 first day out! Our health table! 



 After that we went home and I rested and we got ready for KYIV! Woo-hoo! We were so excited! We packed all our bags and headed to the train station to catch our train. Our train didn't leave until 11, so we met with the Zone Leaders and the District leaders at McDonalds (It's right across the street from the station) and waited for our train. It was only 10 of us, headed up for training and a leadership meeting. Then finally we got on the train, and went to sleep (or tried to...haha). We had heard some rumors about trouble up in Kyiv, but had still been told to head up!
 
On the train, we were taking this pic right 
when we found out that we had to go back. 
 
Now maybe you are wondering how this turned out. Well... the next morning we woke up, and were getting ready. Finally we were about 15 minutes away (we had already passed the temple, you can see it from the train tracks) 
 as close as we got to the temple!

when we got a call from the APs (missionaries that help our Mission President). They said there was going to be a conference call in 2 minutes. So we called on the call and President Klebingat told us that the mission conference and the leadership meeting had all been cancelled. Then he told us, on the train, to get into Kyiv and then buy the first train tickets back to Odessa. So that is exactly what we did.  We bought tickets back, waited in the train station for 5 hours and then got on a train back to Odessa. While we waited in Kyiv, we went to KFC 
 KFC! YUM :) (notice I'm without nametag...) woah...
 
and Dominos... American food, got to LOVE it! :) They don't have that in Odessa. It was the highlight of the trip to Kyiv! Everything was super chill at the train station and we were totally safe! We made it back to our apartment that night at midnight, equaling about 18 hours on a train in 1 day. That is A LOT of hours haha!
The next few days we couldn't leave the apartment! Thank goodness for our 72 hour kits. 

 We ate lots of yummy food with
 our 72 hour kit! We ate well :)

I hear things were crazy up in Kyiv, but we don't really know much. The members tell us some things, but I never know if they are true or not. As sister training leaders, we would have Conference Calls with President and he would give us updates. Those were so nice, and I know that our safety was a big priority! They had several different plans to keep us safe!
Then finally on Friday night, we could go out again! Yay!!! So since then, I saw some members that I haven't seen in forever! That has been so fun to reunite with them! EVERYONE knew what had happened and they had been so concerned. They constantly were asking how I felt and how I was doing! It was so good and I felt so loved! I went and saw Vika on Saturday. She almost started crying, she was so glad to see me! I love these eternal friendships that I am forming! Zhenya, who is preparing to serve a mission saw me on Friday night, and ran up to me and gave me the biggest hug that I have ever received in my life (at least in Ukraine). Someday I'll tell him that he can't really give sister missionaries hugs like that...But it was so sweet!
They all just missed me! Some of them in their cute Ukrainian way. "Sister Ford, It is good that you broke your back, because now you are skinnier.." umm... ok... "Sister Ford, I have a friend that gives free massages." umm...no thanks... "Sister Ford, are you walking now?" umm... can't you see that I am? haha they are so cute! Ukraine has such a sweet culture!

Yesterday I went to church for the first time in 5 weeks! (Hello inactive sister missionary!) But they put me right back to work! I played to piano, gave a talk, and did part of a spiritual thought. I spoke in church about trials and was able to share about how I have learned about grown from breaking my back. I shared a quote about how the gospel provides peace and comfort during any type of trial. Our knowledge about the Atonement blesses us and gives us the ability to endure through trials. And then, when we have a tetsimony of the Atonement, we desire that others have the opportunity to learn of it as well! It was so good!
Then we had a spiritual thought after church before the desert hour. We spoke about missionary work and how everyone has different talents but all together, we can work together to bring about much good. We showed the "I'll go where you want me to go" video from Hastening the Work of Salvation Broadcast (http://www.lds.org/training/wwlt/2013/hastening/members-and-missionaries?lang=eng#media=) and talked about how the little things bring about something GREAT! :) It was so good! We had a Returned Missionary that came up to us after and said that it was отлечно which means awesome! It's a huge compliment coming from an Ukrainian! :)
My back is doing good! Still painful, but everyday I can do more and more! I'm grateful for a great companion and great doctors and members!
So I'm doing really good! I'm happy and SAFE! Pray for the people of Ukraine that they can work together to solve their problems! Have a great week! HAPPY BIRTHDAY ZACH! My brother is getting so old! Have a great day tomorrow! :) Read your scriptures and say your prayers!!!!
I LOVE YOU ALL! Happy March this week!
Love,
Sister Kati Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...