Monday, March 10, 2014

Who ya gonna call? Ghostbusters!

Dear Family and Friends,
Hello! How is everyone? Happy March! Can you believe that this month is my YEAR MARK! CRAZY! :)
This week was CRAZY! We had so much going on, but it was so good! It is definitely weird being in Ukraine at this time as far as I know, everything is fine and will be fine. Things have been a little different.
 I'm doing a little chocolate fast. So we ate all the 
remaining chocolate last night. So much chocolate

our swarma friend, cooking up for us today :)

Thankfully, Sister Lamoreaux and I found the answer to all the problems in Ukraine... As we were in a taxi, coming home from an exchange, the following words comforted us "Who ya gonna call?!? Ghostbusters!" I have no idea why that was playing... but hey, with the Ghostbusters on our side, I think we're safe :) In other words though, they play the weirdest music here...

Yesterday, our church services could've been titled, "war, war, the last days, and more war", but I think our church little branch is a little dramatic! We just spent the day at church, where basically every testimony talked about war and the last days, then Relief Society which was about "How to find Peace in Troubled Times", :) They even planned out their emergency plan in Branch Council. You know, "If a massive atomic bomb goes off, what is the plan? If aliens invade, what is the plan? If if if..." So many Russian words that I have yet to learn!

It was really funny because in the midst of everyone talking about all the problems in Ukraine, a little grandma stands up. Sister Goncharova. She shuffles up to the stand, where they help her climb on the kid's stool. This last week was the 20th anniversary of her baptism. So we had taken her cupcakes and talked about baptism. But anyways, she starts testifying about her baptism and how important baptism is and then all the sudden she says, "Our sisters are so great! They brought me cupcakes and we talked about baptism. and oh, our sisters... Ford! Kelly! (then she forgot the names of the other sisters) they are great! I love them! They are so good!" and just going on and on. I was standing at the side of the room (standing hurts less) and all the sudden everyone starts looking at me. I feel my face go bright red. There was two returned missionaries in the back, they give me a thumbs up, the old grandpa in the back winks, and yeah...sufficiently awkward, but in a cute sort of way.... If you want to make a babushka love you, celebrate the day of her baptism! :)
This week we spent a lot of time with Natasha, the recent convert. She has really been having a hard time in her life, so we have been trying to support her. We ate lunch with her one day, and another day we went over to her house with the senior missionaries from Odessa. That lesson was so good, and the senior elder was able to give her a blessing! I don't think that she has ever received a Priesthood blessing of comfort before, and she felt the Spirit so strongly. She was so happy after, it was amazing to see! :) I love her so much!!!!
Also this week, we were asked by a man to come and visit his English Club.So we did. IT WAS SO FUN! Imagine twenty 14 year old girls, 2 boys, and a teacher (who doesn't speak english as well as his students think) :)! We introduced ourselves, I drew a somewhat decent map of the United States and we showed where we were from. We sang the National Athem. (and NONE of us -all 6 misionaries - hit the high note...) and then they sang the Ukrainian anthem for us! Then we split into small groups and just talked. I was with a boy names Vova and a girl names Sasha! They were just the cutest! It ended with us inviting them ALL to our english practice, I really hope they come! :)
My cute english friends :)

Wednesday, Sister Lamoreaux and I did an exchange! It was so fun! I was with a cute Sister Steinaker and we ROCKED Tairova. We met with a lovely less active, that I fell in love with (I hope I see her again), helped a lady and her sad, cripply dog, accidentally went to a lady that they had planned to see the next day, met a man on the street that insisted that I come to dinner with him (who knows what happened when I didn't show up...I think maybe the elders went...haha I don't know), and taught English! It was so fun and just a typical missionary day! Sister Steinaker is so fun and so self-confident! I have a great respect for her and I love her! She is from Arizona, so that automatically makes her awesome!
Sister Lamoreaux and I are actually involved in war and the results are getting pretty violent. It is usally intense at night, but we have a huge advantage against the opponents. I speak of COCKROACHES! We have so many....I don't know what to do anymore! I think that the more we clean, the more we get... Doesn't make any sense.. But since when have cockroaches made sense???... So bottom line, pray for Ukraine, and also pray for the Sisters-Roach War of 2014. Because this week we are TAKING THEM DOWN! We finally were able to withdraw money so we will be buying bug spray and paste and traps and all that - TONIGHT! There will be no mercy.(except for the good kind, that the gospel teaches about!) :)
so yeah...Nothing like walking down the street and getting a phone call, answering and hearing, "hey, go inside" That happened two different days this week, usually at the most inconvenient times. Once, as we were about to teach English, the other as we were about to go on our other exchange. So... hmm... hopefully there won't be anymore of that :) 
 Lock down picture! :)
 
I'm glad to hear that everything is looking up! I don't like all this talk and problems! :) But one thing I know for sure, the Lord is watching out for his missionaries! I don't think I have ever once, not felt safe on the street! I'm sure that nothing will happen to me or any of the missionaries! God has a perfect plan for each of us! I read in my personal study today President Monson's talk from the last conference. I loved where he said,  "Were it not for challenges to overcome and problems to solve, we would remain much as we are, with little or no progress towards our goal of eternal life". He also shared a poem that I loved, 

"Good timber does not grow with ease
the stronger wind, the stronger trees
the further sky, the greater length.
The more the storm, the more the strength
By sun and cold, by rain and snow,
in trees and men good timbers grow"

So, apparently, God is just forming our mission, the people here in Ukraine, and me into  really strong trees, or a really strong people! And It's true! I can see so much how I am learning and growing. So I know that I can keep going, because it is making me better! I'm learning study skills as I sit inside, patience as I try 5 banks and 8 ATMs before getting money, hope as I comfort people here, and humor as we look for ways to lighten the load of others! The sun is still shining (figuratively...cause its cloudy) and I am still happy! The church is still true and God leads it! I know that all the leaders of the church are watching out for the missionaries here in ukraine, and I'm grateful for all the love and prayers from everyone! :) I love you all!
Have a great week!
Love,
Sister Kati Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...