Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Happy Tuesday!

Dear Family and Friends, 

How is everyone doing? Is everyone enjoying the summer? Can you believe that it is already June?

This past week it really started to feel like summer here! I love it! It is beautiful and warm and everyone is going on picnics and having fun! The little lake by our house has turned into a swimming pool for all the little boys and every once in a while I see them diving in the water from the bridge, which alerts my lifeguard senses because the water isn't more then a meter deep and there are rocks and stuff in the bottom. So if I end up jumping in to save some drowning little kid... that would be quite an adventure. haha. 

The weather and the people out and about has reminded me a lot of my first few weeks in Odessa and here in Ukraine! I remember this hot, humid weather, and it is bringing back a lot of good memories of those beginning transfers! I love the summers in Ukraine, everything is so green and beautiful! I didn't realize how blessed I was last summer to be in an apartment with air conditioning and screens on the windows and hot water.. Because now we don't have any of those. It is a lot like camping, so that is fun :) We've started boiling water so that we can at least have a little bit of hot water when we shower! Oh adventures of a missionary in Ukraine.. :) 

This week was pretty uneventful. I really was sick for most of the week, so that was no fun! I still am, but slowly getting better. I spent a lot of time sleeping. and eating the food that Sister Larcabal made. She loves to experiment in the kitchen and in our Branch Newsletter her first week here, she wrote, "I love to cook and experiment in the kitchen. Then I make Sister Ford try what I made. Sister Ford is very brave". So now whenever we talk with any members, they reference to her cooking attempts and my bravery, which is funny. But she really did experiment this week. Most of it was really good. She made some sort of sweet and sour chicken with peaches and Ramen noodles... and some gyros with strawberry yogurt and pepperoni. So that was fun this last week. 

I've had a lot of time to think this last week, while I was sick, and I decided that missions are way to short. As I look back on this last 14 months, I feel like I have only been gone for about 3 and like I should still have more than a year to be here in Ukraine. So when I realize how short of time I have left and how long I have actually been here, it makes me so sad. Especially being stuck inside, sick. But it has been really good motivation to work my hardest all the time and to not waste any time, because it is so short! Sister Larcabal and I, together with the elders in our district, have decided to talk only in Russian, after some teaching from President came out. We want to be the best in Russian that we can and the time where we can talk all day, every day in Russian, is extremely short! So if my english seems extra bad, that is why :) 

Yesterday was a national holiday in Ukraine, and so our branch had a picnic! It was so fun! 
 playing games at the picnic
 
We played games, and talked and ate some Plove (chicken and carrots and rice) that was coooked over a fire. It was so fun! I was grateful especially for the chance to meet and spend time with the young women. 
 picking and eating wild cherries from the forest :)

We took a break from the forest and went to buy ice cream with them and it was just so fun! They are great girls and examples to the youth here! One of them, just got her mission call, to TEMPLE SQUARE! yay! She is going to do so good there and I can visit her! President Klebingat's son also got his mission call, to the Baltic Mission, Russian Speaking! After being there last week, he is going to enjoy serving there :) 

This coming week, we have an appointment with a potential FAMILY! Oh, that is so rare here and we are so excited! :) I can't wait to let you know how that goes :) Also, we have transfers this week, but basically everything is staying the same. We are being joined in our district by Elder Bolt, which will be super fun! Elder Roggow is going down to Odessa, so we said goodbye to him today. 
 District meeting pictures
 
Yesterday was his birthday, so we ate some cake and it was really fun! :) 

I love you all! I hope everything is happy there :) Enjoy the summer! Go swimming :) 
Love, 
Sister Kati Ford

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...