Tuesday, June 3, 2014

I am the Luckiest!!!

Dear Family and Friends,

Every other missionary from my mission that I have seen since coming back from Ukraine has told me that they hate me... 

and you know what?? 

I can't blame them! 

I just had the most miraculous week of my life with some very special experiences, the highlight probably being meeting and talking with Elder Bednar... yes, Elder David A. Bednar, like of the quorum of the 12 apostles. It was amazing! But let me start from the beginning! 


So last Monday, Sister Hunt and Robertson and I went to the service center and started our crazy visa trip. We filled out some paperwork and then a taxi took us to the airport. At the airport, we were eating some food when we looked around and to our surprise saw 3 elders from another mission in Ukraine! They had been the MTC with us so it was so good to see them again, and especially to learn that we would be going to Latvia together! It was fun to see what great elders they had become and kind of feel like Alma the Younger and the Sons of Mosiah, This is what they said, "Alma did rejoice exceedingly to see his brethren and what did add more to his joy, they were still his brethren in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth...and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God" (Alma 17:2-3). So I feel like I could say that, "[Sister Ford] did rejoice exceedingly to see [her MTC friends] and what did add more to [her] joy, they were still [her friends] in the Lord; yea, and they had waxed strong in the knowledge of the truth...and when they taught, they taught with power and authority of God". So we took the journey with them! 

So all together, we flew to Estonia (such a beautiful country) and while there, ate at Subway! 
 Subway in Estonia
 
 a view from the Airport
 
Yum! They don't have those here in Ukraine so we all splurged on footlongs. yum! Then after a few hours there, we flew to Latvia! I must admit, I had some culture shock on arriving to Latvia. 
 This is a famous statue in Riga

 Everything was so clean and beautiful and I just didn't even know what to do! And everyone spoke english! Weird... I don't know what I am going to do when I get to America! I think I need to stay here forever! :) We got there late at night and so all three of us from Kyiv crashed with some Russian sisters there! 
 gray peas, traditional latvian food!

 I made some stuffed peppers like a boss.

Some yummy desserts in Latvia

The first night there, we found out that Elder Bednar was coming to Latvia, the day after we were leaving. So that was a bummer because originally, he was planning on coming to Ukraine. So it was sad because now we were missing him 2 times. So we decided that we would pray to see him and somehow still be there. It was a weird prayer though because we were also praying that nothing would go wrong with our visas and that everything would be ok. So we were really praying for a miracle! 

The next few days were filled with time at the Embassy, studying, eating yummy Latvian food and enjoying the culture of a different mission! The Baltic mission is amazing and I learned so much there! After the first night, I was assigned to be with a different sister, Sister Mitton.

 She is from Utah and is a Latvian-speaking sister. So we were what is called a "zebra companionship" which means that we just mixed Latvian and Russian. Which sound nothing alike. So basically, whenever anyone was talking Latvian, I was completely lost. So I spent some time with her in an area called Imonta, in Riga. We had some lessons, did some drop bys, and contacted through some beautiful forests. 
 This is me with a Russian and Latvian 
book of Mormon! Rocking the zebra! :)

It was a great experience. Meanwhile, with our visas, we do everything at the Embassy, and they tell us that we will get them back on Thursday and fly back on Friday morning. and they bought our tickets. So that meant that we wouldn't see Elder Bednar, which was a bummer. But I really wanted to see him, so I keep praying... 
 Beautiful, isn't it

The church in Lativa
 
On Thursday, we received our visas back and got our flight plans and everything was looking good to go home early Friday morning. They had been checked by the visa clerk and the senior couple and all was good. So then it kinda sunk in that we probably wouldn't see Elder Bednar. But I was looking at my new visa, when all of the sudden, I saw that my birthday was wrong! Like 40 years and a couple of months wrong. So because of that mistake, when all the other Ukrainian missionaries left on Friday morning, I had to stay in Riga.
 This is Sister Mitton, Sister Robertson, Sister Hunt and I. 
You may notice I am on the phone, telling the 
Assistants that I won't be coming home yet... haha
 
 I WAS A LONER! I had to get a new visa (so now I had 3 in my passport, but one is completely invalid! It only took a few hours and by noon on Friday, I was ready to go. But I still was praying to see Elder Bednar, who was coming Saturday afternoon. So after approval from President Klebingat (isn't he the best!), I got permission to stay and came home Sunday morning! 
This is me and sister Mitton and her normal 
companion Sister Woodland. I don't know why the 
lighting is so weird...but yeah... 

So it was a miracle and an answer to my prayers because I got to meet and be in a meeting with Elder Bednar. And you know what? He is truly an apostle of God and a special witness of Jesus Christ. He holds all of the keys that have been restored in this dispensation. On Saturday, Elder Bednar met with Priesthood holders all over the Europe East area through video conferencing. About 30 minutes after that, he met with all the missionaries serving in Latvia (and me). That was about 40 missionaries! And what a special experience that was. He told us that it was the 4th time he could remember meeting with such a few amount of missionaries since getting called to the 12. We were able to meet with him and have a discussion for about 3 and a half hours. Him and his wife are both amazing people and so good! But despite the calling he has, he is still a normal person. That was interesting to learn, that he is still human and funny and nice. He even told us that "his pants still go on one leg at a time".  

I learned so much in this conference we had with him. We learned all about personal revelation and consistency. We learned that we are representatives of Jesus Christ. We learned more about study and how to receive answers. But I think the biggest thing that I learned is that the best way to learn and to receive answers is through the Holy Ghost. Because Elder Bednar brought the Spirit in such a powerful way through his teaching, the Spirit could help each one of us with our individual needs. It was a miracle! 

At the end of the meeting, I got a very special opportunity to shake his hand. When I shook his hand, I told him that I wasn't a missionary from the Baltic mission, I was from the Ukraine Kyiv mission. And I asked him if there was anything I could share with the members and missionaries there. And, he took the time to give me a specific message for the people here. To tell them that this work is true and then he told me that it is my responsibility to take what I learned in our meeting, and help the missionaries and members around me learn the same things. Quite a commitment, Isn't it??? I was able to talk to him, and it was so special because the whole time we talked, he just looked me right in the eyes, and we were still shaking hands and I could just feel his love. I could feel it for the people of Ukraine, for the missionaries of Ukraine and I could especially feel it for me. It was an answer to my prayers and a miracle. 

So after that amazing opportunity, I said goodbye to the beautiful land of Latvia, and SOLO-ed a trip home. That was strange. Talk about 2 taxi rides, 3 hours in an airport, 2 hours on a plane, and traveling all over Eastern Europe... BY MYSELF! 

 
it was my first time by myself in the real world in 14 months. And I didn't like it. I'm going to miss my companion when I get home! But the good news is, I made it! I finally made it back to my area last night and I'm excited to be back! I'm excited to work extra hard now and to take what I learned from the Baltic missionaries and from Elder Bednar and become a much better missionary! 

This church is true! I love being a missionary! I love our Prophet and the Apostles and can testify that they are called of God! They aren't just big faces that we see on the TV at conference, they are men that have dedicated their lives to the service of God. They have been given real power from God, and trust me, I know, that power is visible when you see them. I'm just the luckiest sister in the world! I have been thinking a lot, "why me? Why did I get to be the one missionary from Ukraine, who, through a mistake happened to be in Latvia to meet an apostle?" and although I don't know that answer, I do know that I have a loving Heavenly Father, who hears and answers my prayers. I'm grateful for that knowledge! I love this church!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's so great :) 

I love you all! Make good choices! Share the gospel, because it's true! :) 
Love, 
Sister Kati Ford 

PS- Sorry there aren't any pictures of Elder Bednar... not really allowed... But he looks just like he does on the tv and in the pictures, but he is shorter than I thought and tanner. But other than that, just imagine me meeting the man from the pictures and that's him! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...