Tuesday, March 12, 2013

Farewell Talk!!


This last weekend, I had the wonderful opportunity to give my farewell talk in my home ward.  It was wonderful.  I'm super grateful that the Gordon's, Albretsen's, and other friends could be there!  Afterwords, we had a fun dinner.  I felt so much love and support from the people in the ward.  Because many people that I love weren't able to be there, I posted a script of my farewell talk below. Hopefully it reads ok, I wrote it up pretty late so their might be some grammar mistakes...Oh well!! 

Loved having family and friends here!! 


I tried to get a cute picture with all the boys...


You can see from Cater's face how well that worked out (haha just kidding!) ;)

What a cutie! 

Good morning.  My name is Kati Ford.  My family is in this ward.  I imagine that most of you don’t know who I am, due to the fact that I have attended BYU or the University Branch in Kalamazoo since I moved here.  Since I can count on my hands the number of times I have been to a meeting here, I thought I would start with just a little introduction.  I’m 19 years old.  I’ve played the violin for 10 years.  I love to run.  I also like to be creative and make things.  In November, I received a mission call to Ukraine! 

Brothers and Sisters, I am so excited to be here today.  I am excited to share my testimony and experiences with my family and friends that were able to be here today.  I am also excited to be able to serve as a missionary.  I can’t believe that I get this wonderful opportunity to serve the people in Ukraine and strengthen and develop my testimony as I help people in Ukraine learn and feel of Christ’s love for them.  I know that Christ loves and knows each of us and sharing that love with those that don’t know of it will be a great blessing and opportunity in my life.

Today, I was asked to speak based on President Uctdorf’s first presidency message from last month, entitled, “A Word for the Hesitant Missionary”.  I remember reading this when it first came out.  It was such a powerful message for me, not because I was hesitant to be a missionary or confused about serving a mission but because it was such an incredible, wonderful advice from a member of our first presidency. As I have prepared to serve a mission, I have received plenty of advice, both good advice and some not so good advice.  Due to the fact that before the mission age change announced in October, I wouldn’t have been able to serve a mission for another 2 years, my planning for a mission occurred much faster then it typically does for others that have gone in the past.  Therefore, I value such good advice.  Good advice has helped me feel confident and excited about serving my mission.  Today I’m going to share the top 5 pieces of advice that I have received as I have prepared to serve a mission.  I pray that those preparing to serve a mission will accept my advice and apply it to their lives but I also pray that those that may not be actively preparing to serve a mission will apply the advice too.  I speak from example when I say that you never know how quickly your life can change.  In addition, every member of this church has the opportunity to share the happiness and light that the restored gospel of Jesus Christ brings to the everyday people they come into contact with. 

The first piece of advice I would share is the Learn to follow the spirit and to know what it feels like when the Holy Ghost is prompting you. 
When the announcement was made at general conference to change the mission age, I had a lot of thinking to do.  I had the incredible opportunity to attend a session of conference the next morning.  As I prepared to go to that session, I decided to fast to feel at peace, and that if it was the Lord’s will, to know if I should serve a mission.  As the session started, I had made a list of doubts and concerns that I still had about serving a mission.  As our prophets and apostles started to speak, I was overwhelmed with the strongest prompting I have ever felt in my life, telling me to serve a mission and to serve now.  Every questions or doubt that I had was answered and as I stood up to sing “Called to Serve” as the intermediate hymn, I knew that my prayers had been answered. 
Although I had that wonderful opportunity to feel such a strong prompting, most promptings and guidance from the spirit is found through a still small voice or feeling.  If we are living righteously and worthily to have the Holy Ghost as our constant companion, then he will “help us in every aspect” of our life.  The Holy Ghost speaks quietly, through feelings as well as into our mind.  In 3rd Nephi, it teaches that, “it is not a harsh voice, neither was it a loud voice…nevertheless…it being a small voice…it did pierce them to the very soul, and did cause their hearts to burn” As we are in an environment where the Holy Spirit can dwell, we will be able to be in tune and better hear and understand the promptings of the Spirit.  As President Monson warned, “Never postpone a prompting.” I can testify that as we listen and heed the promptings of the Holy Ghost, we will have success, both as a missionary, and it all other aspects of our lives.  I can’t imagine a better way that my life could be, all because I followed the prompting to put in my mission papers to serve a mission. 

The second piece of advice I have in to be obedient
When I first started to submit my mission papers, I learned of what an extensive process it is.  You have interviews with the Bishop, members of the Stake Presidency, more meetings with the Bishop. The interviews never seem to end. If you are preparing to serve a mission, or if you desire to be a member missionary, I strongly urge you to be obedient.  This is especially critical to young men and young women preparing to serve.  The standards the Prophets have set regarding dating, movies, modest, and every other standard in the For Strength of Youth led to standards that are necessary to have for serving a mission or enter the temple.  Your lives will be blessed as you are obedient in every aspect of your lives.  I was blessed as I was a young woman to have great parents and leaders that helped me make the right choices.  Although I didn’t know that I would serve a mission at age 19, the Lord knew and he blessed me with parents and leaders that encouraged me to be obedient in everything I did.  Their love and support made it easier for me to obey the standards and teachings of the gospel. 

The third piece of advice I have is to look for the Hand of God in all things.
My family moves around a lot.  As we have traveled to different places, I have had the Lord give me plenty of tender mercies that bless my life and help me see the good in the situation I am in.  After I had submitted my mission papers, but before my call came, I was so anxious about where I would be sent.  I was so worried that it was hard to sleep at night.  The day before my call came; I went to the Provo temple to do baptisms.  The Provo temple was so busy that day that instead of waiting in the Chapel to perform baptisms for the Dead; we were in a separate waiting room, singing hymns.  I remember praying for peace that I would know that I was called by the Lord, and that I would be happy wherever I was sent.  Immediately, the next song sung, was hymn 270, “I’ll go where you want me to go”.  I’d like to read the first and third verses of that song.  They reads, “It may not be on the mountain’s height, 
Or over the stormy sea; 
It may not be at the battle’s front, 
My Lord will have need of me; 
But if by a still, small voice He calls, 
To paths that I do not know, 
I’ll answer, dear Lord, with my hand in Thine, 
I’ll go where You want me to go. There’s surely somewhere a lowly place, 
In earth’s harvest fields so white, 
Where I may labor through life’s short day, 
For Jesus the Crucified; 
So trusting my all to Thy tender care, 
And knowing Thou lovest me, 
I’ll do Thy will with a heart sincere, 
I’ll be what You want me to be.” That message hit me like a rock as I realized that I would go where the Lord wanted me to go.  This call that was coming came from the Lord.  As we look for the hand of the Lord in our lives and express gratitude for all our many blessings, we will have the increased desire to serve God and our brothers and sisters on this Earth. 

My fourth piece of advice is from President Uctdorf’s message where he counseled to be filled with faith.
In his message, he said, “Have faith.  The Lord can magnify the words you speak and make them mighty.  God doesn’t ask you to convert but rather to open your mouths.  The task of converting is not yours – that belongs to the person hearing and to the Holy Spirit.” In Preach My Gospel, they teach that “your success as a missionary is measured primarily by your commitment…you can feel certain that the Lord is pleased when you feel the Spirit working though you.” As we have faith, and are filled with faith, we will be able to share the gospel with others and the Holy Ghost will testify to those that we teach the truthfulness of the gospel.  As we share the gospel and increase our efforts to share this message of happiness, we provide more opportunities for those we love to feel the spirit. 

My final piece of advice is to Love others and be happy.
As we love those whom we come in contact with, we will desire to share the gospel with them.  As we grow to love someone, we desire for them to have the happiness and joy that we know about.  Serve those whom you love and pray for them.  Pray for them to desire to know about the gospel.  Pray for them to learn of Christ’s love for them.  The second part of this final piece of advice is to be happy.  After I received my mission call, I decided to pick a scripture to be my mission scripture, to act as a motivational message when I was feeling down.  After I searched and searched for a scripture, I finally came across one in Doctrine and Covenants.  It reads, “Be of good cheer and do not fear, for I the Lord am with thee, and will stand by thee.  And ye shall bear record of me, even Jesus Christ, that I was, that I am, and that I am to come.” I love that scripture.  We don’t need to fear because the Lord is with us and watching and guiding us.  As I share this message, there is no reason to be unhappy.  I am sharing the gospel, which has brought me more happiness and joy then any other thing in my life.  Through the gospel, I can have an eternal family.  Through the gospel, I can repent and be forgiven of my sins.  Through the gospel, I can someday be sealed to my husband for all time and eternity.  This gospel is one of happiness and joy and I know that I can receive even more joy as I share this message with others. 

I know that this truly is the gospel of Christ.  I know that God lives and that he loves me. He loves each one of us and knows about our trials, pains, successes and everything we do.  He cares for us and wants us to make correct choices.  I know that if we live righteously, we can be with our families for eternity.  I know that the temple is the House of the Lord.  I’m grateful for the many ways the gospel blesses my life.  I’m grateful for the opportunity I have to go on a mission.  I know I will miss my family but the joy and blessings that will come to my family and me will make it more then worth it in the end. I love you all and am grateful for all the advice, and the many ways you have helped me prepare to serve my mission! In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen. 

1 comment:

  1. What a wonderful talk. You had me in tears. So very proud of you, I'm so glad your my granddaughter. See I even was able to put your blog on my favorites, so I won't miss any of them. Can't wait to follow your progress on your mission. Sure love you. Grandma C.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...